Located on over six spacious acres, across the road from the Paxson Wildlife Reserve, Denali Highway Cabins is the only private property on the headwaters of the National Wild and Scenic Gulkana River. Our cabins and tents are secluded from the road and scattered about the property for optimal privacy, and all share fantastic views of Paxson Mountain as it towers over the Paxson region. Our cabins are located as close to the Gulkana River as our septic systems and winter ice/thaw cycles permit. Guests will never be bothered by road noise, bar noise, generator noise, guy-next-door snoring noise, dogsled kennel noise - only the wonderful sound of the river.
We offer a variety of lodging options: (Please click on pictures below for detailed info & rates)
(not including special amenities specific to each unit)
- ELECTRICITY & PLUMBING. Other than the tent-cabins (see full description), every unit has full electrical outlets and full plumbing with on-demand water heaters. Why do we even mention this? Many remote Alaskan properties do not offer these in cabins. If the words plumbing and electricity are not mentioned on the website, it most likely is a “dry” cabin with an outhouse, often with only a kerosene lamp.
- Blissful beds – Serta Perfect Sleeper or Tempurpedic memory foam, depending on unit
- Highest-quality sheets, extra pillows, & extra blankets and comforters
- Genuine Hudson Bay blankets for warmth and pure North Country appeal – What is a Hudson Bay blanket?
- Plush cotton towels
- Luxurious and soft bathrobes
- Homemade breakfast
- Custom-made black-out curtains to ensure a restful sleep under the midnight sun
- Water pitcher with our signature handthrown mugs
- Alaska–themed books and magazines
- Toiletries including hand soap, body soap, lotion and shampoo
- Cabin, local trails, and activities guide
- Hot water kettle with coffees, teas, and cocoas
- Dressers, clothes hangers and luggage racks
- Individual heaters for your own comfort level
- Spacious decks with deck chairs and cushions
- All units are non-smoking
- Access to our Great Room gathering spot
Guests also have access to:
- Rain gear, including rubber boots and jackets
- Propane grills for cooking outside
- Free mountain bikes for use on nearby trails
What you will NOT find:
- Television. This is by design…we believe no tv is an amenity!
- Individual microwaves and frigs in cabins. Available in the Great Room only.
- Irons and ironing boards. The amount of electricity these consume are not commensurate with a solar electric system. Please see our Sustainability page.
- Hair dryers. Again, an electricity hog. We kindly ask guests to refrain from their use if bringing their own.